Looking for the perfect chainsaw that fits your needs? According to Charles Henderson, Business Development Manager at Husqvarna South Africa and a seasoned Tree Professional, the world of chainsaws has come a long way from its traditional roots. It now caters to a wide range of tasks for both homeowners and professionals. “With so many options out there, picking the right chainsaw can be a bit overwhelming,” he says.
He adds that Husqvarna has designed a quick and interactive method that considers elements such as your experience level, intended usage, wood type, and desired features. “This quiz serves as a navigational tool, leading you through the landscape to uncover your ultimate chainsaw partner. It will also empower you to precisely identify the chainsaw that perfectly syncs with your unique needs.”
Question 1: How experienced are you in using a chainsaw?
1. a) I’m a beginner with little to no experience.
2. b) I have some experience but am not an expert.
3. c) I’m an experienced user and comfortable with chainsaws.
Question 2: How often do you anticipate using the chainsaw?
1. a) Rarely, only for occasional home use.
2. b) Moderately, for occasional woodcutting and maintenance tasks.
3. c) Frequently, as part of professional or regular heavy-duty use.
Question 3: What type of wood will you be sawing most often?
1. a) Softwood (e.g. pine, cedar).
2. b) Mixed types of wood.
3. c) Hardwood (e.g. oak, maple).
Question 4: What tree size do you expect to be felling most often?
1. a) Small trees and branches.
2. b) Medium-sized trees.
3. c) All of the above plus large and hardwood trees.
Question 5: How important are ergonomics to you?
1. a) Nice to have but not essential.
2. b) Moderately important.
3. c) Very important, I need optimal comfort during use.
Question 6: How important is the ease of stretching and replacing the chain?
1. a) Not a major concern.
2. b) Somewhat important.
3. c) Very important, I want quick and easy chain maintenance.
Question 7: What’s your proficiency and experience level with chainsaws?
1. a) Beginner.
2. b) Intermediate.
3. c) Experienced professional.
Question 8: How would you describe your intended usage of the chainsaw?
1. a) Light home use, occasional firewood cutting.
2. b) Regular woodcutting and maintenance tasks.
3. c) Heavy-duty professional use.
Question 9: What’s your preferred size and weight range for the chainsaw?
1. a) Small and lightweight for easy manoeuvrability.
2. b) Medium-sized and manageable.
3. c) Larger and more powerful for demanding tasks.
Question 10: What’s your comfort level with handling different guide bar lengths?
1. a) Not comfortable with varying guide bar lengths.
2. b) Somewhat comfortable, willing to learn.
3. c) Very comfortable, experienced in handling different sizes.
- Mostly A’s: Consider an entry-level consumer saw suitable for occasional home use. Choose from our range of easy-to-handle Residential models such as:
- Husqvarna 120 Mark II
- Husqvarna 130
- Husqvarna 420EL
- Mostly B’s: Look into an all-round saw for moderate woodcutting tasks.
Choose from our range of second-generation Landowner models such as:
- Husqvarna 440
- Husqvarna 450 II e-series
- Husqvarna 353
- Mostly C’s: Explore professional saws designed for heavy-duty or professional use.
Choose from our range of powerful Commercial models such as:
- Husqvarna 353
- Husqvarna 61
- Husqvarna 365
- Husqvarna 372 XPÒ
“Remember, this quiz is a general guideline. Always consult with a Husqvarna dealer before making a final decision,” Henderson advises. He adds that if you are in the market for a chainsaw, remember to also invest in Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). “Head-to-toe protection is available from Husqvarna including helmets, eye protection, earplugs, safety shoes and the newly-launched chainsaw pants. Ideally, all of these should be worn but, as an absolute minimum, gloves and chainsaw pants are non-negotiable,” he concludes.